by Greg Kirby
on Thursday, October 10th, 2019 at 4:20pm.
LEST WE FORGET
FOR THOSE WHO LEAVE NEVER TO RETURN.
FOR THOSE WHO RETURN BUT ARE NEVER THE SAME.
Cottage Rental Wanted
In Sioux Narrows on Lake of the Woods.
Wanted to rent for 1-2 weeks after July 6, 2020, by 2 active senior sisters.
1-2 bedrooms, prefer screened-in porch. Will consider off-grid providing it has road access. Respond to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cottage Trivia (Source Cottage Life calendar, used with permission)
* Porcupines mate (very carefully) in October
* Hares and weasels get their white fur coats between mid-October and mid-November
* October 31 - Halloween
* At the beginning of November, migrant songbirds leave the Canadian Shield
* November 3 - Daylight Saving Time ends in most of Canada
* In November, white-tailed deer bucks get aggressive during the fall rut
* November 11 - Remembrance Day (Veteran's Day U.S.)
* In mid-November, young loons head south
* November 28 - Thanksgiving U.S.
Name Game - The swift fox can run as fast as 60-km/h
Who Knew? Canada's Marcellus Gilmore Edson was the first to patent peanut butter, in 1884
Wild Fact - Beavers are the second-largest rodents in the world (capybaras are bigger)
Wild Fact - A turkey vulture can find a carcass even if it's buried under a foot of soil
Name Game - Earliest use of the phrase "trick or treat" is traced back to Blackie, Alta, in 1927
Name Game - Moonshine Lake, Alta., was named after residents spilled their booze into the water
Lobstick Bay Road, Lobstick Bay, Lake of the Woods - $119,000 (15 Days On Market)
Castlerock (Queer) Island, Lake of the Woods - $449,000 (138 Days On Market)
Pinecone Drive, Black Sturgeon Lake - $595,000 (17 Days On Market)
Fickas Road, Snake Bay, Lake of the Woods - $495,000 (49 Days On Market)
Fickas Road, Snake Bay, Lake of the Woods - $165,000
Pistol Lake, Minaki - $389,500 (113 Days On Market)
Channel Island, Lake of the Woods - $469,000 (21 Days On Market)